Thursday, July 30, 2009

Everyday Blessings

It is finally cooling off. It is probably about 70 degrees and there is a beautiful breeze blowing. I have all the windows open and I am enjoying the fresh air. The wind chimes are chiming and ringing. It is a very welcome sound.

I find that I am very tired. Not much sleep last night, the high emotions that have been running in all of the family and the oppressive heat have taken their toll on me today. I am looking forward to getting a solid nights of sleep and being able to catch up on some of my household chores.

One of the other pastors brought me a load of wood chips today. I am so excited! I am going to use them as a mud barrier to fix Charlie”s “bunker hill”. It is really bad and when it rains it will be one giant mud pit. I am planning on grabbing a shovel and evening it out as best as I can. Then I have some chicken wire and I am going to spread it over the level dirt. When that is all done I am going to spread a good 6-7 inches of wood chips over the top.

I am rather hoping that all of this work will solve two of my major backyard problems. The first one being Charlie’s love of digging herself sleeping dens in the backyard. It is more than an eye-sore, it makes it hard to walk without endangering yourself to falling in one of her pits. Then of course there is the problem of the constant mud and dirt and debris that the dogs drag into the house with them.

I was so surprised when Pastor Gary pulled up in front of the house with the trailer load of wood chips. It was all I could do to not do my happy dance. (I did not want to shock him too deeply) It was unexpected, but very welcome. It was also a kind and generous thing to do on a hot summer evening.

It got me to thinking about everyday blessings. I think that sometimes I get so wrapped up in the struggles and hurts of everyday life that I fail to identify and celebrate those everyday blessings that I am given.

“From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another” John 1:16

I want to not just notice the blessings, but to really take the time to breathe those blessings in. I want to take the time to savor each and every one of them. The blessings are there … all around me. Sometimes not as obvious as a trailer of woodchips in my driveway but they are they waiting to be discovered and enjoyed. I think that I will enjoy looking for them.

Just Connie

No comments: