Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

What a wonderful day. July 4th in a small town has got to be one of the best celebrations ever. I was invited up to the neighbor’s house for a neighborhood picnic. I only knew one other person there, but it was actually fun to meet new people. It was a very relaxed time and I am glad that I pushed myself a little bit to take part.

I ducked out of the picnic early so I could go to the church and help with the elephant ear booth. Willamina celebrates the 4th in a big way. There is a parade and everything from arm wrestling contests to mud drags. The church raises money for missions by selling elephant ears. It was a lot of fun to pitch in and work hard for 5 hours. I am very glad that I could help, but man oh man are my feet tired. My job was to roll out the dough. I am so greasy and covered with flour. I am past due to hit the shower.

The parade was delightful. There were lots of military units and classic cars and tractors and children. The local VFW had a great presentation. It was everything a small town celebration should be. It had a very homegrown feel and I loved it all.

I came home put a cake in the oven for the pastor’s retreat tomorrow and then ran up the hill to watch fireworks with the neighbors. It was a spectacular display. Lots of “oohs” and “ahs”. I think it was the best I have seen in years.

All in all it was a busy and happy day. I have to admit to a little sadness around the edges as I went through everything by myself. But for the most part I was too busy to think about it. And there are worse things than being by myself. In honor of the 4th and where I am emotionally I offer this verse.

”It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery” Galatians 5:1

Freedom has been given, I need to not let the sadness of loss enslave me.

Just Connie

No comments: