Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rewards of Parenthood

My daughter is in the hospital. That is a really scary thing. This is something that I cannot fix. It seems that she has a bad kidney infection that has gotten into her bloodstream. Her temp goes up and down and she cannot keep anything down and she is in a lot of pain.

I would so like to fix this for her and I cannot. All I can do is love her and be with her when she wants me there. How frustrating for a mother … how frustrating for me the “fixer”.

I have also found it difficult to step back and let my daughter be a grown up in this circumstance. She is a smart, talented and competent young woman. She is also independent. I am trying real hard to not smother her or ask more of her than she wants to give. If I could have chosen I would have been at the hospital every moment with her since she checked in. But instead of following what I want, I am trying to follow what she wants and what she needs from me.

I am very proud of my daughter and very thankful for her. So I will continue to do lots of praying and will be available when she needs me. I guess that is the very best thing I can do for her.

“children are reward from Him.” Psalm 127:3

“Rewards” can be a mixed blessing at times … but still very rewarding.

Just Connie

No comments: