Saturday, August 22, 2009

Bear Dog

I went to camp meeting last night. It was an inspiring evening of worship. I saw friends and had great fellowship. I am very glad that I made the effort to go. It was about 11:00 at night when I got home. I opened the patio door and called for the dogs. My large sheepdog came bounding into the house. But my 15 year old terrier “Bear” did not. He is somewhat deaf and mostly blind so I left the door open for him and went and puttered around for a while.

It finally dawned on me that he had not come in about 15 minutes later. Dread swept over me like a cold clammy swirling fog. He has been slowly failing over the past 6 months. In the past month he has been losing weight and has begun not moving well. I knew he was dying and his body was shutting down. I stood there and gazed out into the yard knowing that he had died somewhere out in the dark. I dug out the lantern and began searching through the yard. I checked under every bush and checked and rechecked every path, I called and called hoping that he was just sleeping somewhere. I searched for an hour and could not find him. I stood there crying and finally realized that I would have to wait until morning to find him.

I leaned my head against the patio door and wept. “No more loss … please Lord no more loss.” I went into the house and put the lantern away and slowly began getting ready for bed. As I was closing the house up for the night, I heard a familiar noise at the patio door. With a sob I threw the door open and there stood Bear. He came happily in and rubbed himself against my ankles as if he was saying, “Where have you been?” I dropped down to my knees and pulled him onto my lap in stunned disbelief. All I could say is “Thank you Lord … thank you, thank you.”

I have no idea what quiet spot my little guy had been curled up in. I am so glad that this was not his time. I realize that even in my thankfulness is the awareness that his time with me is short. But there is joy to be found in the time I have with him.

”There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven” Ecclesiastes 3:1

I refuse to waste my time grieving for what lays ahead. Instead I choose to celebrate the time I have with him.

Just Connie

No comments: