Monday, August 3, 2009

Surgery Eve

Today I bathed the dogs, packed up the bunny, loaded my laptop and all of the clothing I would need for the next week and headed to Burlington. I cleared my calendar so I could be with my parents for my Father’s open heart surgery tomorrow.

I pulled into Burlington mid day, unloaded all the animals, got Bubba bunny settled and was relaxing with my parents when the phone rang. It was Dad’s surgeon calling to tell us that Friday’s test results were in and they were concerned about a potential blockage in two arteries. The upshot is that the open heart surgery is postponed and he will be having an additional test Wednesday morning to determine what needs to happen next. It is possible that he will need to have some surgery to fix the blockage before they can do the open heart surgery to replace his aortic valve.

So here I am all ready and no surgery. But I am glad for the extra time with my parents. I do not get to stay with them very often. They have asked me to stay and go with them Wednesday when Dad has his tests and then meets with the cardiac surgeon. It is my privilege to be able to do that.

I am so thankful for my parents and the strong family that I was blessed with. They have given to me all my life. Their love and support has been a constant safety net for me. This opportunity is one small way that I can demonstrate my love and admiration for them in a very real and practical way.

This will be a much easier week than I was geared up for and I will enjoy these extra moments we have been given. It is good to love and be loved.

“May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you” Psalm 33:22

Just Connie

No comments: