Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dad's Surgery - Day 9

It was a hot, hot, hot day. Mom and dad’s old tudor farmhouse does not have air conditioning. That means it is really hot. I have been worried about how Dad will do in the heat but he is doing very well. Me on the other hand well … “I’m melting ….” rather like the witch from the Wizard of Oz.

I just put Dad to bed and I am hoping he will sleep better than he did last night. I am still having to lift him in and out of bed. He cannot put any weight on his arms or chest so getting up and down from a laying position is challenging. He is very tired tonight, so I am hopeful that he will have a better time of it tonight. I am bunking down on the floor of the basement. It is marginally cooler and I will still be able to hear mom and dad if they need me during the night.

It has been a long day and we have had a houseful of visitors throughout the day. While Dad was in the hospital the grandson’s all got together and built him a woodshed. They walked Dad out and showed it to him today. Dad cried, I cried it was a wonderful loving, generous thing to do. I am so proud of them for thinking of it. I think it conveyed to Dad how much they love and appreciate him.

I am thankful for the opportunity to give back a little to my parents. They have given me so much. They have always been there when I needed it. They have encouraged me, chided me and always helped me be better and stronger. This has been a chance to show them love and support in a very realistic tangible way.

“I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service.” 1 Timothy 1:12

It is good to give.

Just Connie

No comments: