Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Surgery Update

Mom and Dad and I met with the vascular surgeon today. They found a 98% blockage of his carotid artery. The doctors decided to do both the open heart surgery and the carotid artery repair at the same time. The carotid artery surgery will be first and then the heart surgeon will replace the aortic valve. It could be an 8-9 hour surgery. The surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday, August 11th. It will be nice to have this surgery behind him and have him recovering. Right now he is slipping away before our eyes and it is frightening to watch.

Tonight all of the family came for dinner and to get the latest news on Dad. The house was full and it was a good time to visit and be with each other. These gatherings seem to be getting bigger all the time. I have a feeling the family will miss these times during Dad’s recovery.

I have said it before, but I am very thankful for my family … for the love and support that they share so freely. As much as we hate my Father getting sick, I believe that we will discover new things about each other and ourselves in the days ahead. This can be a time to grow together and a chance to lean on the love from those around us.

I so want to be a blessing to my family through this time. I do not think I will be able to do that if I am not totally surrendered moment by moment. I am not expecting this to be an easy process, but it probably needs to be a committed process. It will take everything I am.

“The memory of the righteous will be a blessing” Proverbs 10:7

Make me a blessing …...

Just Connie

No comments: