Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dad's Surgery - Day 6

Dad is coming home tomorrow! That is very good news. Mom and I went grocery shopping tonight and are doing the last minute cleaning to make sure everything is ready for Dad’s arrival. Our biggest concern is getting him up the stairs to the main floor. But I honestly think he will navigate the stairs better than we expect. We also always have the option to put a bed downstairs and have him stay there instead. We will play it by ear and see how it goes.

When we got home tonight there was a message from my husband saying he had been trying to get a hold of me and he wanted to know how Dad was doing. So I called him back. He was pretty intoxicated. I am not sure why that bothers me so much. The whole reason behind our separation is his drinking. So why does it hurt when I realize that he is still drinking?

The reality is that I care about what happens to him. I care about his well being and it does hurt to see him continue to damage himself with his drinking. I so want him to find freedom from the bondage of alcohol. I tell myself that no one can make that happen but him …. But it still hurts.

So tonight I give thanks for answered prayer and for Dad’s homecoming tomorrow. I also offer my husband up once again. I cannot “fix” him, I cannot change him … but I can pray. That is probably the most important thing I can do for him

“Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise” Proverbs 20:1

Just Connie

No comments: