Sunday, August 2, 2009

Singing My Heart

I love to sing. I have always loved to sing. As a toddler I would sing and dance anywhere and everywhere. (whether people wanted me to or not) I am not sure how my parents survived. Throughout school I sang every chance I got. I sang in the performance choirs, got involved with drama and just enjoyed singing in every venue that I could.

In college I learned to play guitar and that opened up a whole new world for me. My guitar went with me everywhere. I made some friends who also loved to sing. We sang in church, we sang for college events and one memorable time we sang at a local tavern. That one performance at the tavern convinced me nightclub performing was not something I wanted to do for a living. I think God was protecting me guiding me in the right direction.

In the years that followed I went on staff at a variety of churches as the Minister of Music. I continued to grow and learn as I sang for church services, conferences and just enjoyed lifting my voice in praise. I was blessed each and every time that I sang.

Today I had opportunity to sing for a church service. I sang a song that has really become my theme song over the years, “Great is Thy Faithfulness”. The pianist that accompanied me is incredibly talented. She created a beautiful arrangement that was a sparkling frame. It was a sacred moment when all of the notes seem to go right to God’s heart.

How thankful I am for the opportunity to sing what I believe. It has been a balm to my spirit over the past difficult months as I have not only sang what I believe, but sang what I felt. It has helped me express what I am feeling and process the experience as well. I think the Psalmist gave us great wisdom when he told us:

“make music to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing” Psalm 98:5

Tonight I will continue to make music.
I think it will help me in the difficult week that lies ahead.

Just Connie

No comments: