Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Day to Help

I am tired tonight. The cold, cold, cold weather continues. We had a high today of about 18 degrees. When it is that cold it really saps the energy from me. And there was lots to get done today.

First off I needed to haul firewood. The woodshed is up the hill from the house. So I had to bundle up and head outside and up the hill. It is so cold that it hurts to draw a deep breath. I kept telling myself that it was very good exercise for me, which it really was. I am very glad that I am here to be able to do that for my parents right now.

Then mom and I went up in the attic and brought down all the Christmas stuff. We got the tree decorated and I must say that it looks wonderful. But that is sheer hard work. It is not only the hauling of the boxes but hauling them down the steep curvy wooden stairs from the top floor of the house. To be honest I was really glad of the chance to do some Christmas decorating this year. It was good to unpack familiar Christmas ornaments and decorations from my childhood.

It dawned on me while I was decorating how tragic this Christmas could have been for the family. Everyone is struggling with our first Christmas without Grandma and I am struggling with the loss of my husband and marriage. We came so close to losing Dad that it takes my breath away. To see him improving day by day is truly a gift. I am very grateful for this time with my parents and I will celebrate every moment that God gives me with both of my parents.

Christmas will be different for me this year. It will be different for my family as well. Different .... I do not always like different. Regardless, my task will be to face it, learn from it and to keep walking ahead. Christmas is all about transformation and hope. That is something to get excited about.

"Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long." Psalm 25:5

Just Connie

No comments: