Saturday, January 9, 2010

Baby Thoughts

26 years ago tomorrow, I stood in the adoption agency and with trembling arms held my son for the first time. He was 6 days old and screaming at the top of his lungs. When they placed him in my arms, he stopped crying. I can remember the sense of wonder and awe as I examined each small finger.

Tonight, my baby had a baby. My son Tony called to tell me that he was the proud father of Hayden William, 7 pounds, 18 inches long and doing great. It is an amazing thought to think of my son as a father. It is even stranger to think of me as a grandmother.

There is no way to adequately tell someone how their life will never be the same again. From this point forward every decision is weighed with the needs of that small growing life. Nights will become shorter, energy will flag and the mountains of dirty clothes will grow. But there will be baby giggles and first steps and messy baby kisses that make everything so worthwhile.

I hope that I can be a help and a support to this newcomer. I hope I can be the type of grandmother that brings joy, happiness and light and life with me. I hope, I hope .... I hope.

Just Connie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS GRANDMA!!! Of course you will be the purveyor of things like joy, happiness and life and life...you KNOW where those things come from and you SERVE the KING who brings them to light ;=o) A hearty congratulations again Love and blessings to you and sweet sleep my friend!