Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Sadness & Beauty


Sadness sneaked up on me today. It had been a good day and the staff and I had gotten a lot of planning done as we looked at the issue of pastoral care together. It was fun and energizing to lead them through the planning process.

As we finished up, we looked outside to see that the fog had cleared away and it was a beautiful evening. We decided it was time for a break and headed down to the beach together. It was glorious. The sun was shining bright and the ocean was peaceful. As we walked along the beach I soaked up the beauty and the peace around me. As I stood there and watched the gentle surf I was suddenly struck by my aloneness. I gazed around the beach and saw the couples and the families. I was swept by a feeling of sadness that there was no one to stand beside me. There was no one to walk down the beach and hold my hand. It was a lonely moment.

I stood there, felt the sadness and then straightened my shoulders and went and joined the others. I am trying to not stay for long in those moments. I am challenging myself to look for ways to connect with other people at those points of sadness. I do not think it is wrong to be sad, but I think it is unhealthy for me to not move from that moment.

So tonight though there was sadness, there was also beauty. There was also friendship and a great sense of peace. God knows my heart. He knows every tear and hurt of my heart. He will bring me through.


"He will wipe every tear from their eyes." Revelation 21:4


Just Connie

No comments: