Saturday, September 26, 2009

Aging Myself

I am old ….. old and tired. I learned that about myself today. I spent the day splitting and stacking 3 cords of firewood. I did not know that I could have so many muscles that could all hurt at the same time. I think I am getting too old to do heavy work like that all day long. By the end of the day, I was rolling more wood than I was carrying. My arm muscles just would not lift another piece.

I came home and stood under a hot shower to help loosen my protesting muscles and spent a lot of time scrubbing pitch off of my arms and face. I have no idea how I managed to get so much pitch on face … but there it was.

The pitch came off but the scrapes and bruises did not. I look like someone beat me with a stick. I guess though that I did it all by myself. I had no idea that I was quite that clumsy, but the proof is right there in every scrape, cut and bruise. I have a feeling that they are the promise of more soreness arriving tomorrow.

But the soreness will not kill me. Perhaps it might even teach me something.

“In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35

Just Connie

No comments: