Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Moments

Moments frozen in time. You know those moments that we never forget. We can look back on them with utmost clarity. It seems like I have had a lot of those life snapshots over the past 9 months. This morning I had another one of those moments. My father in law called me. When I heard his voice my heart sank. I knew that his news would impact my wounded heart.

He shared that my husband Gerrald decided he needed rehab. He further decided to detox on his own. I have to admit that at that point my knees gave out, and I sank to the floor. After detoxing with him many many times over the years, I have a full understanding of just how dangerous alcohol withdrawal can be. I remember like it was yesterday a week long stint in critical care when I came close to losing him as he was detoxing. My father in law said that Gerrald called him and told him that he needed help. On the way to the hospital he went into convulsions. He has been in the hospital the last 3 days. Which would explain why I have not had a drunken phone call in three days, he was in the hospital fighting for his life.

He is making it through though and he is scheduled to go into a 6 month live in rehab program when he is released. They are holding a bed for him. They expect him to be released from the hospital sometime this week.

I find that I am a seething mass of emotions. I am sad, I am glad that he is looking for help, I am grieved over the choices that have brought me to this point once again. I am praying for him and I will faithfully lift him up over the months to come. I pray that he will find freedom from this bondage and new life in Christ.

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

Just Connie

No comments: