Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pretty Pony Friends

I have had a wonderful day. I spent the day with a friend and played pretty ponies with her horses. I brushed and combed and scratched and just enjoyed being with them. I walked around the 85 acres and was blessed with the beauty of the countryside. I watched the flock of turkeys running around and picked up tail feathers as I walked along.

I have always loved horses though I have not spent much time around them in the last 25 years. I did not even realize how much I missed it until today. At one point I found myself leaning my head against the neck of one very tall gorgeous gelding and breathed in his horsey scent and felt the sadness of the last few days just flow out of me.

One of the horses I met today was a beautiful 8 year old gelding named LA Philharmonic or Phil for short. Phil has been something of a problem child and has not always been nice to people. I was told that he really doesn’t take to people. For some reason Phil and I really hit it off today. As I introduced myself to him I was really drawn to him. He followed me around and would drape his head over my shoulder and nuzzle my neck. I had to laugh as he would lean himself into me. It was delightful to be with him, I wish I could see him every day.

I found today to be incredibly positive and healing. I had the warmth of friendship and good loving conversation. There was beauty all around me, wildlife and nature in all of its glory. And I had horses, beautiful, friendly and very horsey. And there was Phil, who was a balm to my unhappy heart. He liked me and that feels good. I liked him as well. You know it is a good thing he couldn’t fit in the car or I would have brought him home with me.

I am continually amazed at the diversity and wonder of God’s creation. Horses are incredible animals and today they blessed me, just by being horses.

“Then thundered the horses' hoofs— galloping, galloping go his mighty steeds.” Judges 5:22

Just Connie

No comments: