Monday, September 21, 2009

The Paint

I am learning lessons. I have to say that I would prefer to not learn most of these lessons, but I am learning.

Last month it became evident that I needed to scrape the trim on my house and repaint it. I say evident because a large strip of peeling paint feel on my head when I was getting into my car one day. I have to admit that my heart sank because it was yet one more of those tasks that my husband should do. But there is no husband to do it. So that means me. How hard could it be? Right?

The task seemed so big and so overwhelming, but I started scraping and when the task seemed too big God sent a friend to help me scrape. I really felt like I was beginning to get on top of this. And the today I went to Wal-Mart to buy paint. There are aisles and aisles of paint at Wal-Mart. Gloss, semi-gloss, flat, tinted, specialty paints … well more paint than I knew how to wade through. All I wanted was an exterior white paint. I have to admit that I left Wal-Mart without paint.

I stopped at the little hardware store in Willamina where I live. I stared at the paint for a while and then I squared my shoulders and walked to the cashier and told him what I was looking for. He walked me over to the paint and chose what I would need for the house. I was so relieved I could have kissed him. But I held myself back with a heartfelt thank; you thank you, thank you instead.

So now I have a gallon of white paint and I will probably begin painting sometime later in the week. I am sure that I will find all kinds of reasons to procrastinate. But the rain is coming and I have to get it done before the fall rains hit. I can hear the clock ticking for me. I must get it done soon. I just need to get started.

“May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us— yes, establish the work of our hands” Psalm 90:17

Anyone want to grab a paintbrush and meet me at my house?

Just Connie

No comments: