Sunday, September 6, 2009

Obedience

One of the really fun things I get to do at the Willamina Church is teach the adult Sunday School Class. We are working our way through the Book of Proverbs and it has been a great study. The discussion has been spirited because Proverbs addresses so many of the life issues we face today.

This morning we were still discussing Proverbs 6 and the list of things that God hates. As we explored the things that grow out of sin, God began to nudge me to share something a personal reflection from my life experience. I did not want to. There were all kinds of reasons why I did not want to. I do not like to talk about that era of my life and I am always aware that what I share could influence how people perceive me.

But there I sat knowing that God was asking me to do something that felt very risky to me. I began to share and the room got quiet. I tried to be positive as shared what it was like when my husband left me. As I finished a woman tearfully said, “You shared that for me. That is what I have been feeling and experiencing since my husband left. I needed to know that someone else has felt and experienced that”

My simple act of obedience had lightened her load this morning. I wonder how often that in my desire to protect myself, I am not obedient and I rob myself and others of the blessing God would have for us.

This morning was a reminder for me that God does ask for miracles from me, He just wants an obedient heart. I am so glad that God is patient with me.

“And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.” 2 John 1:6

I guess what it all comes down to is loving enough to trust … the song Trust and Obey comes to mind. I thin perhaps it is time to memorize those words.

Just Connie

No comments: