Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Last Night

I did not get home last night until midnight. I have to admit that I came hoe and fell into bed. I did not even think about blogging until my mother called this morning to find out if everything was okay. I always blog, so she was assuming disaster had befallen. I was able to assure her that all was well, I had just gotten home too late to blog.

I got home late last night because I was in a meeting in Salem. My Conference Superintendent had asked me to serve on the committee that basically is the budget and finance committee for the Conference. Last night was my first meeting with them.

The meeting was exciting. Now most people would probably say that 4 hours spent pouring over financial spreadsheets is anything but exciting, but I found the evening exhilarating. There were several things that pushed the “good” button for me. First of all, it was wonderful to see the scope of the conference ministry. It gladdened my heart to see how they supported local churches and wanted to be a resource to develop God’s kingdom.

Second of all, it was a blessing to see that they were careful stewards of what God has entrusted us with. They were striving to improve accountability and practices and were willing to examine ways that we could improve what we were doing.

Thirdly, this was an incredibly skilled group of people. These were business men with financial savvy. We had one man whose job is to create new accounting systems and spreadsheets form the ground up. Another man whose job was to tear part financial statements and find better ways or more accurate ways to present them. Everyone had a unique skill set to give a slightly different perspective.

I am very glad for the opportunity to serve and I found the meeting exhilarating. I was a happy camper as I rolled into bed last night. I think part of it is the joy that comes of helping in the area of our giftedness, but some of it is how much I have missed the broader scope of ministry. I am very thankful for this chance to serve. I think it will be interesting to see what God does in the days ahead with this group of people…. not to mention what He will do with me.

“This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.” 2 Corinthians 9:12

Just Connie

No comments: