Monday, September 14, 2009

One Small Boy

I found myself sitting on the roof today. I scrambled up the ladder to scrape the fascia boards. You know it always seems a lot higher up when you are on top looking down, than it does from the driveway looking up. What I found once I was up there was rather daunting. There was moss all over the roof. There was mold around the gutters and I just stood there on the peak of the house and looked around in total disbelief.

I slowly sank down, totally and completely overwhelmed. Tears flooded my eyes and I could not even imagine where I would begin. So there I sat, just staring at everything that needed to be done. At the peak of my despair I heard a voice from my driveway, “hey Connie, you need any help?” I warily peered over the edge and there was the neighbor boy. Marc is an 8th grader this year and he is my bike riding buddy. He will often invite me to ride or play games. He has been so good for me and yet I was so surprised to see him. I swallowed my pride and said, “yes, please”. he scrambled up the ladder and together we scraped and scraped. I spread detergent that is supposed to kill the moss and then we hung over the edge together and cleaned out the gutters.

Together we got it all done … well everything that could be done today. Now I have to buy paint and get the painting done. And I will have to sweep the moss down after it is dead, but it seems so manageable at this point. I can do this.

It is very interesting that I was completely overwhelmed and all it took was one kind willing heart to strengthen and encourage me. It only took us a couple of hours working together to get it done. Just one small boy that did a really big job. How grateful I am for his great big caring heart

“By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

This boy professes Christ in everything he is and everything he does. You know I think there is a lot I could learn from this young man.

Just Connie

No comments: