Monday, September 7, 2009

Charlie's Walk


I share my home with 2 dogs and a bunny. I have a 15 year old terrier (Bear) who is mostly blind and deaf and I have a 120 pound sheep dog (Charlie) who is an ongoing source of amusement and consternation to me.

Charlie is a big hit with everyone she meets. She is a gentle giant and is kind of goofy. Yesterday one of the neighbor boys and his girlfriend walked down and invited her to go on a walk with them. I tossed them her leash and wished them well since it was pouring down rain at the time.

But their romantic walk in the rain turned into a nightmare. It seems that they ran afoul of a wasp nest. They ran into the river to get away from them. Charlie stepped in a hole and went down until she popped up swimming like mad. I am very glad that they did not let go of the leash in the chaos. They made it home and a quick trip to the hospital counteracted the scores of bee stings the kids received. Thankfully they will be fine.

Charlie seemed to be fine, at least I could not find any bee stings on her. But she was acting oddly. She moved stiffly and was shaking. I brought her in the house and toweled her down and worriedly began to watch her, wondering if I was going to be taking an emergency trip to the vet. I kept running my hands over her ears and stomach looking for bee stings and could find nothing. I finally left her curled up on the floor and went and puttered around in the other end of the house. I realized with a start some time later, that I had not checked on her in quite a while and rushed into the family room. The photo at the top is what I found. Not only had she moved her bulk to the couch, but as you can see, she had her head on the pillow.

I have to admit that I stood there and laughed. I was relieved to see her back to her normal self and it just looked so funny. She just rolled her eyes at me and snuggled back down to the pillow. I took pity on her and let her sleep on the couch. I decided that she had earned it after the walk, the run and the swim.

Tonight, I washed the muck off her and right now she is in “phase 1” drying in the bathroom. You know, having the dogs ensure that life is never boring around here. After a while I will let Charlie out to lay on a blanket in the family room for “phase 2” drying. It takes a lot of work to dry all that hair. But it will be so worth it.

I am very glad for all the love and laughter that the dogs add to my life. They truly are a gift from God. I have learned that you can never have too much laughter.

"God has brought me laughter" Genesis 21:6

Just Connie

No comments: