Saturday, February 13, 2010

Meeting Thoughts

I had an uncomfortable experience tonight. I was in a meeting tonight and they began talking about something they had seen on TV. It was a couple who had faced unfaithfulness together and how they came through it with their marriage intact. The statement was made that the relationship was saved because the woman had studied Christ and had done what Christ wanted her to. I sat there and thought "So .... does that mean I have not done what Christ wanted?" I tried to push those thoughts away, but the more they talked about it, the worse I began to feel. The lady next to me who has also been divorced leaned over to me and whispered, "Our situations were different. We did what Christ wanted, but our husband chose otherwise".

By then the tears poured down my face and I realized that she was right. I was blessed by her assurance and her sensitivity to what I was feeling. Though there were tears on my face I felt warmed and comforted.

That warm feeling lasted right up until I was cornered at the close of the meeting. I was kindly lectured about allowing "the Accuser of the Brethren" to have access to me. I smiled and nodded and left as quickly as I could. But inside I was outraged. I had trouble putting my finger on what exactly was wrong. But as I have thought about it I have realized several things. I realized that my emotions were not only discounted, they were labeled as spiritually wrong. I also realized that if Satan was to blame then there did not have to be an apology to us for thoughtless remarks.

I find that I am frustrated with that kind of limited self awareness and sloppy theology. I do not see it supported biblically and everything in me protests against it. I am not sure how to combat it, but I know that I don't like it. I think that I need to spend some time praying about it and asking for some wisdom on how to face this. I want to have God's answer for this. There is a solution I just need to find it.


"My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding" Psalm 49:3

Just Connie

No comments: